In Sep 2023, a month shy of my 51st birthday, I noticed that a small hard lump just below my right earlobe had grown rapidly in size over a few weeks. It bothered me enough to bring it up during dinner with the family. The dear wife straight out told me to go and get it checked ASAP, in spite of my protests that my schedule was packed. A morning slot happened to open up at the doctor’s so I went, expecting to be given a cream and a time-off chit. Instead, the doctor arranged an appointment with the hospital, marked with a priority stamp. What followed in the next three weeks was a whirlwind of medical appointments for a battery of tests, consultations and an urgent parotidectomy to remove the tumour in the saliva gland, as pre-op tests had been inconclusive for cancer. I would only know for sure when the lump was removed and investigated.  Nothing prepared me for this uncertainty. I have a young family, I have aged parents, and I have responsibilities at work. My time here is not done yet, I prayed, and asked that God heal me. He can do it. Just say the word. I felt abundant hope, even though with the symptoms I had, nothing on Dr Google presented a positive picture. I clung to a verse that I dub the “Don’t worry, be happy” verse – Matthew 6:34 “Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” I asked the Lord to remove all worries from me and my loved ones, and that all will be fine. He can do it. Just say the word. I informed my family without any anxiety, just a feeling of deep peace.

With hope and peace, it was easy for me to be open and share my situation with people I know. Prayers and well wishes poured in. A couple of friends sent daily word for me to focus on and increase my reliance on the Lord. My fellow Silver Boxes leaders actively prayed and checked on me regularly, even activating their cells’ prayer warriors to pray for me. Our church pastors and staff also prayed for me, sending me encouraging notes, and a nourishment hamper. Carolyn and Soo Hoong also visited me post-op to pray for me. My daughters committed me to prayer each time they said grace before our family meals. God’s warmth and love enveloped me through my family, friends and church.

My op to remove the lump went well but it was only 2 weeks later that the biopsy outcome was known.   When my surgeon told me was that the tumour was benign, relief swept over me. The Lord had been faithful once again. He never fails us.

With God’s grace, I am recovering well from the surgery. Through this episode, I could see that God is very much in control of all situations, and all His children need to do is to obey and rely on Him. His timing was so perfect – I was worried about my busy work schedule but meetings either moved or someone would cover my duties. He is Jehovah Jireh – the surgeon assigned to my case was the Head of ENT, my insurance took care of the major chunk of the medical bills, my family ensured I had the best care, and my in-laws even prepared my post-op recovery meals. I found new things to be grateful for each day.

Lamentations 3:22-23 says that “the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness.” He is indeed REAL and I experienced Him each step of the way. No one will ever say thanks when they get sick, but THANK YOU, Abba Father!